Tuesday, October 28, 2008

a hula girl

That's what my 6 year old daughter is going to be for Halloween this year. I thought that it would be a fun and easy costume to make. Also, it is the first year that she has finally let me talk her into dressing up as something other than a Disney princess:) Here is what we have done so far:
Is there anything that you can't make with a little elastic and some felt?
We still are going to make flowers to go around her neck, wrists and ankles...and a head piece. We also need to find something warm to wear underneath, because it gets pretty cold here at night.... thinking some thick tights and a long sleeved leotard or shirt? Overall, I think that it turned out really cute!
P.S. I got all this great felt from feltorama on Etsy. It is a great eco-felt made from 100% post-consumer recycled plastic bottles. I really like the thickness and texture of it. Especially, compared to some of the other craft felts that I have used.

Okay...now I have to share some of my Etsy hula girl finds!

I absolutely love this crocheted hula girl outfit from UniquelyEwe:


Your son wants to play too? Look at this great boy's leaf skirt from sandcookies:



This purse by plumeriakidz is sooo cute:



...and look this little hula pin by ennadesign:



Having a luau party? Look at these great invitations by walkerdill:



something for baby by bebebrent:



a custom portrait by twinklestarart:



a stunning stained glass panel by SquidSuffis:



and last, but certainly not least, this wonderful hula girl doll by SilverFairyCreations:


Isn't this little dancing hula girl cute? You can get her here:
http://widgets.yahoo.com/widgets/hula-girl


need some free Hawaii/hula themed clip art? You can find a bunch here:
http://www.hulamall.com/hawclip/people.htm



...and here is a bead set that I made a while back:


Aloha!

3 comments:

KriskropMemories said...

I am truly impressed, everyone assumes because I am what they call "crafty" that homemade costumes should be a breeze. Every year I want to make them for my boys and every year I draw a complete blank. So when I see your daughters costume all I can say is hats off to you. In my house Indiana Jones from Toys R Us won :)

Kim Caro said...

saving bebebrent too cute! your baby is ganna love the hoola outfit you cam eup with.

Marjorie said...

Thanks! I did cheat... and buy my other two kids' costumes:)