Saturday, November 17, 2012

Polymer Clay Pumpkin Pie: Tutorial

Polymer Clay Pumpkin Pie Tutorial | livingwiththreemoonbabies.blogspot.com

What you need:
  • bottle cap
    • Unused and flattened type is the best.  You can find them at craft stores, Amazon, or on Etsy.  You can also look at stores that cater to home brewing.
  • beige/crust colored polymer clay
  • orange/pie colored polymer clay
    • I mixed orange, brown, and gold to get a color I liked.  I have also seen people mix in real pumpkin pie spices to make it look more realistic!
  • white for the whipped cream
  • needle tool or something to crimp the edges of the crust
  • liquid polymer clay to strengthen bond between clay pieces



As I mentioned before, I added some brown to my orange to get a more realistic pumpkin color.

I still wasn't happy with the color, so I added some gold too.

 I flattened the clay, then used a 1 1/4 inch circle cutter to cut a piece of beige and orange.  I used a tiny, about 1/4 inch, circle cutter to cut a piece of white to use for the whipped cream.

 Center and place the piece of beige/crust colored clay in the bottle cap.  I added some liquid polymer clay between the two to secure the bond.

 Roll the orange/pumpkin colored clay in a ball.

 Place the orange ball in the center of the beige piece of clay.

 Press and flatten the orange clay ball.

 Press the side of the needle tool in increments around the pie to crimp the edges of the crust. 

  Try not to indent the orange portion of the pie.

 Roll the white clay into a ball.

 Pinch the top of the white ball to form a teardrop shape.

 Add a drop of liquid polymer clay to the center of the pie.

 Place the white clay in the center of the pie with the pointed side up and squishing it down a tiny bit.

 Bake according to clay directions.

 And...your pies are finished!

You can use them as festive hair bow centers, to decorate napkin rings, as magnets, or even glue on a bail to create a pendant!

My 6 year old daughter helped me make the pies and made two of her own.  She likes to use them to feed her Lalaloopsy doll!

Hope everyone has a happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Quipay Adventures said...

Thanks for sharing. Cute pies to make for my granddaughter1111